Nice Jewelry. Check.
Beautiful flowers. Check.
A box of chocolate. Check.
Sexy lingerie. Check.
A thoughtful card. Always.
A surprise weekend getaway for just us. With a candlelit room, rose pedals everywhere and Kenny G music playing softly. Yea, I’ve done that too.
Pretty much anything I could give for a Valentine’s gift that was within my means, I have given it at some point over the course of a 32 year relationship.
Even when our marriage was in trouble I would still give something. In fact when our marriage was in trouble I usually gave more extravagantly, such as the surprise weekend getaway. It seems I was always trying to make up for what I hadn’t done at any other time.
But, of all the gifts I have ever given my wife, there is one gift that stands out far and above all others. Don’t get me wrong I still do everything I can to give all the gifts I have mentioned even if they are recycled. But the one gift I must give on Valentine’s Day, Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, and every other day of the year, is ME.
Yea that’s right. At the risk of sounding puffed up about who I am. I know that I am the most important gift that I could ever give my wife. In fact Janet has even said as much. Many times I have heard her say, “my husband is like a gift I get to open everyday.”
Now I’ve got to tell you, hearing her say things like that blesses me to no end, specially considering she wanted to divorce me four times when I was more like the headache she couldn’t get rid of instead of a gift she could open.
And now, knowing that she feels this way about me and knowing that I have it in me to be this gift to her, it gives me tremendous motivation to keep increasing in ways that will continue to cause her to wake up each day and want to open her gift.
Give the gift of you.
So now, for this Valentine’s Day, and every other day of the year for that matter, would you consider giving the best gift you can give? Would you give your spouse the gift of you? That is all of you, holding nothing back, just put yourself out there and get as real as you can get.
- Be present in the moment when your together.
- Open up your heart and start communicating at a deep intimate level.
- Find new ways in your schedule to make time for each other.
- Think of your spouse often and do little things like buying their favorite candy bar just because you were thinking of them.
- Make the phone calls, text messages and photos, send emails, send Facebook and Twitter messages.
- Find extra things you’ve never tried before like theaters, concerts, little shops down town, ball games, or picnics in the park.
- Take walks together.
- Go for rides for no real reason other than to spend time together.
- Take showers together and wash each other’s hair or use your imagination.
- Make love more often.
- Be more creative when making love.
- Learn what turns your spouse on and do it.
Bottom line is learn how to speak your spouse’s love language and see to it that you keep their love tank FULL!!!!
So go ahead, Give Your Best Gift. What have you got to lose.?
Image courtesy of Naypong / FreeDigitalPhotos.net